150 S 4th E St

Mountain Home, ID 83647

Manufactured Homes

How do I change ownership on my manufactured home?

When a manufactured home is sold, many people just sign off on the title, exchange it for money from the buyer and believe the process is complete.  This can be a dangerous thing to do.  The title is the legal ownership document. Even if you sell the manufactured home, you are responsible for the taxes until the title is legally transferred in to the new owners name in the Assessor’s office. To ensure that you don’t get surprised with a tax bill, follow the steps provided below.

Signing a release of liability does not transfer the title and does not release you from your property tax liability.

  1. Current year’s taxes must be paid in full before name change can be processed. Obtain a Prebill from the Assessor’s Office and take it to the Treasurer’s Office.
  2. If the title is changing hands, the current year’s property taxes on the home must be prepaid.  Who pays these taxes is negotiated between the buyer and seller. If adding a name or life estate, without removing the current owner’s names, prepaying taxes is not required.
  3. The new owner takes the Treasurer’s prepaid tax receipt to the Department of Motor Vehicles to have the title changed.
  4. If the manufactured home is the primary residence of the buyers, apply for the homeowner’s exemption with the Assessor’s Office.

For questions or more information about the above procedures, contact the Assessor’s Office at 208-587-2126.

How do I have my manufactured home home declared real property?

Manufactured homes are classified and taxed as ‘Residential Personal Property’, unlike land and stick-built homes which are taxed as ‘Real Property’.  The law treats these two property types differently and so do mortgage companies.  Many mortgage companies will not finance a manufactured home unless it has been declared real property.  To have a manufactured home declared as real property, it must be on a permanent, fixed foundation. The title of the manufactured home must match the deed of the land it is sitting on.  In other words, the same person (people) must own the land and the manufactured home and their names must appear exactly the same on both the land and the title to the manufactured home.  If these requirements have been met, then executing the following steps will complete the process of declaring a mobile home as real property.

  1. Obtain a form called a “Statement of Intent to Declare Manufactured Home to Real Property” from the Assessor’s Office.
  2. Please refer to the instructions on the back of this form.  A Deputy Assessor signs the form verifying that the land and home are under the same ownership.
  3. The owner must contact the building department located within their jurisdiction for inspection to verify the home is set on a permanent foundation according to Idaho Code 63-304 .
  4. Depending on the time of year, it may be necessary to prepay property taxes.
  5. The owner then signs the completed “Statement of Intent” form and has it notarized (A notary is available in the Assessor’s office).
  6. Both the completed and notarized Statement of Intent and the original title to the manufactured home must then be recorded at the Recorder’s Office. The Recorder’s office will return the original “Statement of Intent” and original title to the owner.
  7. After recording, the owner takes the original “Statement of Intent” form and original title (NO COPIES) to the Department of Motor Vehicles.  The DMV will process the transaction & forward the documents to the Idaho Department of Transportation and this will eliminate the title for the manufactured home.

Once this process is completed, the manufactured home and land will be assessed and taxed as one unit.  There will no longer be separate assessment notices for the manufactured home and land.

For questions or more information about the above procedures, contact the Assessor’s Office at 208-587-2126 Ext 507.

How do I reverse a declaration of real property on my manufactured home?

A declaration of real property can be reversed but a 30 day written notice to the Assessor’s office is required per Idaho Code 63-305(3) .  If the manufactured home will be moved, the new location must be indicated on this notice.  Please follow the steps provided to have your manufactured home valued as personal property again.

Steps for Reversal of Declaration

  1. Obtain a form from the Assessor’s Office called a “Reversal of Declaration of Manufactured Home to Real Property.
  2. All property taxes on the home, due and payable, must be paid in full at the Treasurer’s Office.
  3. If applicable, obtain a letter of permission from the mortgage lender.
  4. Have your signature on the Reversal of Declaration notarized and then recorded in the Recorder’s office.  Notaries are available in the Assessor’s office.
  5. Take the recorded “Reversal of Declaration” form (the original) to the Department of Motor Vehicles to obtain a receipt of title. The new title is issued by the Idaho Transportation Department.

For more information on the above procedures, contact the Assessor’s office at 208-587-2126.

What do I need to do to move my manufactured home?

Before making arrangements to move a manufactured home, it is best to contact the Assessor’s office at 208-587-2126.  We can take you step-by-step through the process.  We will also update your mailing address information to ensure you continue to receive important mail from the county after your move.  Ensuring the status of your Homeowners exemption is correct is also vital to this process.

If you are moving your manufactured home out of Elmore County, the current year’s property taxes must be prepaid. A reputable mover will not hook onto the home for transport unless the owner provides the receipt from the Treasurer’s office showing that the taxes are prepaid.

Depending upon the new location of the manufactured home, a permit to move the home must be obtained from the Planning and Zoning department.  Each city and town have their own Planning and Zoning department.  The County also has a Planning and Zoning department that handles properties outside of city limits.  The Assessor’s office can help you determine which Planning and Zoning department you should contact for your move.

What is the Idaho-shaped sticker on my manufactured home?

The Idaho-shaped sticker on your manufactured home is attached to the home or given to the home owner by the Assessor’s Office every year.  This sticker indicates that the home is on the assessment roll.  It does not indicate that taxes have been paid, however.  The sticker must be displayed on the side of the home that faces the street.  If your manufactured home is “Declared Real”, you will not receive the sticker.  If the Assessor notes a home without this sticker, steps will be taken to ensure this home is placed on the assessment roll and properly taxed.

For more information contact the Assessor’s Office at or 208-587-2126.