150 S 4th E St

Mountain Home, ID 83647

Building Permit Requirements:

A Reference Guide to Building in Elmore County
Building Handouts & Guides
Residential Codes
Residential Energy Codes
Commercial Building Codes
2018 Idaho Manufactured Home Installation Standards
Frost Depth Zones & Snow Load Zones
Idaho Building Codes
IECC Compliance Guide for Homes in Idaho – 2012 Code on Energy Conservation
Design Professional Requirements



NOTE: Construction waste dumping at the county waste transfer facility in Pine, Atlanta, Prairie and Glenns Ferry is not allowed.  Construction waste shall only be disposed at approved locations.

An aerial image of a water tower and city


Building Permit Requirements


      • A building permit shall be obtained before construction begins.

      • Contractors on permits must have a current State of Idaho registration number.

      • Constructing, altering, or adding to a structure or moving a structure from one location to another requires a building permit.

      • Roofing permits are required in Elmore County.

      • Manufactured (modular, mobile) structures require a permit and inspections.

      • Plans for the construction of foundations and/or basements on which the manufactured structure sets are required.

      • Structures shall be located within setback requirements and shall not be located on utility, road, or irrigation easements or rights-of-way.

      • Fences seven feet (7′) and under are not required to have a building permit, however, the owner is advised that, if it becomes necessary to remove the fence, it will be done at the owner’s expense.

      • Fences shall not interfere with visibility at intersections.

      • All permits issued by the Land Use and Building Department (“Department”) shall comply with the adopted IRC and IBC regulations.  In the event a Building Permit (“Permit”) extension is required the applicant must apply and pay for a Permit extension.  The applicant must also provide justifiable cause as to why the extension is warranted.  The Permit extension must be approved by the Department.

    Please note:  It is the applicant’s responsibility to request all extensions on Permits that are about to become suspended or inactive.  


    SECTION R105


    R105.1 RequiredAny owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

    R105.2 Work exempt from permit. Permits shall not be required for the following. Exemption from permit requirements of this code shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of this code or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction.



        • One-story detached used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses, and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet ( 18.58 meters squared ).

        • Fences not over 7 feet (2134 mm) high.

        • Retaining walls that are not over 4 feet (1219 mm) in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge.

        • Water tanks supported directly upon grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18 927 L) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed 2 to 1.

        • Sidewalks and driveways.

        • Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops, and similar finish work.

        • Prefabricated swimming pools that are less than 24 inches (610 mm) deep.

        • Swings and other playground equipment.

        • Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1372 mm) from the exterior wall do not require additional support.

        • Decks not exceeding 200 square feet (18.58 meters squared ) in area, that are not more than 30 inches (762 mm) above grade at any point, are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the exit door required by Section R311.4.  


      Information on Plans and Specifications:

          • Plans and specifications are required PRIOR to issuance of a building permit.

          • Plans to be a minimum of 8.5″ X 11″ or 11″ x 17″ paper copy and if for a residential structure we need a full size (“24×36”) set of plans. If you submit electronically we can print full size residential plans for a fee of $10.00 per page.

          • Plans (drawings) must be drawn to a professional standard, to scale, upon substantial paper, and be of sufficient clarity to indicate the nature and extent of the work proposed.

          • All plans shall include a plot plan showing the location of all existing and proposed structures on the parcel and their distance from the property lines and road rights-of-way.

          • Plans need to contain floor plans that include foundations and/or basements, all floor levels, lofts, patios, porches, balconies, carports, garages, and outbuildings.

          • It’s required that plans include exterior structure dimensions and square footage with separate figures for living space, basement, carport/deck, garage, etc. (2018 IRC).

          • Wall bracing plans are required to accompany the set of plans.

          • Any permits under the jurisdiction of the International Building Code (IBC) require design by a registered design professional at the discretion of the Elmore County Building Official.

          • The Building Inspector requires 3-5 days for residential plan reviews and up to 30 days for commercial plan reviews.

          • The Department will only hold onto approved building plans for 30 days after approval.  It is the applicant’s responsibility to pay for the permit in a timely manner.  In the event a Permit isn’t obtained within 30 days of approval, the Department will mail back all plans and applications.  It will then be the applicant’s responsibility to apply again.  The Department is not responsible for building plans which accompany an application or are otherwise left in the office. It is recommended that the applicant/owner maintain a copy of the building plans.  Once the Permit has been issued the plans that have been stamped by the Building Official must be kept onsite during the duration of the project.  The Department maintains building plans for a period of 6 months after completion then shreds the plans.


        Cross-section drawings of building(s) shall include:

            • Footings and foundations;

            • Spans for floor joists and materials (clearance between bottom of floor joist, or bottom floors without joists, and the ground shall be no less than 18 inches; minimum under girders shall be 12 inches);

            • Spans for roof trusses or stacked roof–include type of materials to be used;
              Spacing of wall studs and materials used;
              Type of finishing materials (interior/exterior).

            • Computation, stress diagrams, and other data sufficient to show the correctness of the plan shall be submitted when required by the building official.

          A rocky cliffside covered in grass overlooking a mountain on a cloudy day.

          Building Permit Fee and Deposit

          The Permit fee is based upon the valuation of the structure in accordance with Section 109 of the IBC and the International Code Council Building Valuation Data, which is updated every six months.  Deposits are required to ensure final inspection is completed.


          Failed Inspections

          The Department will not tolerate multiple failed inspections for the same type of inspection.  For example, applicants can only fail one framing inspection. If a second framing inspection is failed, the Department will withhold $50.00 from the Permit deposit.  This cost will cover current time, expenses and mileage for the Building Official.


          Time Limits

          All Permits will have to be completed within 3 years of the date of issuance regardless of inspections completed or extensions requested. The following will take place if the Permit is not completed within 3 years:

              • The Department will provide notice that the permit is expired and unfinished.  None of the building Permit money, nor the deposit, will be refunded.

              • The Department must issue a new Permit before construction can commence.  This will include a new deposit, application fee and any additional fees pursuant to the current adopted Department fee schedule.

              • Please be aware that unfinished and unpermitted structures are a violation of the zoning and building codes adopted by Elmore County.


            Design Notes

                • Footings
                      • 24 inches deep (below frost line or back filled) Areas below Tollgate

                      • 30 inches deep (below frost line or back filled) Areas from Tollgate to Featherville

                      • 36 inches deep (below frost line or back filled) Areas above Featherville

                  • Snow load in recreation area — 120 lbs. ground snow load.

                  • Snow load for remaining area — 30 lbs. ground snow load.

                  • Wind load –90MPH IRC, 105-120 MPH IBC

                  • Seismic Design Categories
                        • Zone C South of Featherville

                        • Zone D North of Featherville


                  Building OfficialJohnny Hernandez
                  Office: 208.587.2142 Ext. 1246
                  520 East 2nd South, Mountain Home, Idaho 83647
                  Hours: 8:00am – 5:00pm, Monday – Friday