150 S 4th E St

Mountain Home, ID 83647

Court Assistance Office

Jim Meliza, Elmore County Court Assistance Officer

Elmore County Courthouse

155 S. 5th E.
Mountain Home, ID 8364
(208) 587-2127 Ext. 1263

or by email: [email protected]

Office Hours:  Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Fridays 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Tuesdays by appointment only.  Video conferencing and telephone consultations are available by appointment.

(Office hours are subject to change due to holidays, training, and court assistance officer availability.)

The Court Assistance Office assists self-represented people in civil matters such as:

  • Divorce
  • Custody
  • Child support
  • Guardianship
  • Paternity
  • Name change
  • Small claims
  • Landlord and tenant
  • Other civil matters

The office provides court-approved forms, document reviews, legal information, referrals to legal assistance, and referrals to other services.

Forms can be purchased at the Elmore County Courthouse or they may be downloaded from: www.courtselfhelp.idaho.gov 

The Court Assistance Officer does not represent parties or any of their interests. While confidentiality practices concerning anything discussed are utilized, it is not guaranteed. The Court Assistance Officer may provide services to the opposing party/ies (other person/s involved in the same case). The Court Assistance Officer can only give information not interpretations of laws or strategies for any case. If seeking representation, a confidential consultation, or legal advice, you will have to consult with a private attorney.

The materials and assistance you receive at the Court Assistance Office are not a substitute for legal advice. The laws and court rules are complex. Following instructions and using the forms provided to you will not guarantee a favorable result. It is always advisable to talk to a lawyer about your problem before proceeding on your own.

If you cannot afford to hire an attorney to represent you, you may be able to pay a lawyer to give you advice and review your paperwork for a lesser cost. Contact the Idaho State Bar Lawyer Referral Service (208-334-4500) for the name of an attorney in your area who will provide an initial consultation for no more than $35. Even if you do not hire a lawyer to represent you throughout the proceeding, a lawyer can look over your paperwork, give you advice on how to present your evidence, and tell you whether this type of action is right for you.

PLEASE NOTE:  The Court Assistance Office CANNOT provide legal advice nor can we assist with Traffic Citations, Criminal Cases, Appeals, Emergency Orders, Termination of Parental Rights, Probate/Wills/Estates, Adoptions, Real Estate/Liens, Legal Separations/Annulments, or Court Records.